Thursday, April 11, 2013

Kindergarten Round-Up

A couple days ago, we went to the Kindergarten Round-Up at Farragut Primary School.  Molly will start school there in August which will be here before we know it.

We were able to take a tour of the school, get the paperwork done and turned in, meet with some of the teachers and see a couple of the classrooms.

I'm so lucky that I have connections through the parents and grandparents where I work now.  The grandmother to 4 of the 11 kids in my class just happens to be the crossing guard at the Primary school.  She was kind enough to bring me the Kindergarten packet so I didn't have to make a special trip the school to pick it up.  I had things filled out way in advance which made the whole day much smoother.  Now all that we lack is the 5 year physical she'll get from her pediatrician once that is done.  Then that's it and we're in the clear for a new school year.

I've heard nothing but outstanding things from neighbors, friends from work, parents and kids who've gone through all the Farragut schools.  Some of the ladies I work with even went there when they were kids.  It's a great school system and I am hoping to become a part of that once Molly starts there in the fall.

Here is Molly standing outside of the school.

There are two wings for Kindergarten, the red hall and the green hall.

Standing near the cubbies in one of the Kindergarten rooms.

Lots of little bins full of art supplies.

Some of the bulletin boards with colorful displays.

She loved the reading hut in one of the rooms...had a hard time getting her out of there.

Seeing what it's like to sit at one of the desks.  It looks like there will be about 18 to 21 kids in each Kindergarten classroom.

A little play area in one of the rooms.


It's hard for me to believe that she'll be going to Kindergarten already.  Seems like she was just a tiny baby yesterday learning how to walk, talk, sing and play.  We were just teaching her how to eat with a fork, hold a crayon, recognize her name...potty training, using a cup, how to get dressed.  Now, we are actually faced with the decision for her to ride the bus or be driven to school.

I've heard from numerous parents, teachers and school staff that riding the bus may be the easiest for us all.  It's just a few miles and they have a meticulous system for making sure kids get to where they need to be.  We feel that if she rides the bus, she really should start at the beginning of the year when all the Kindergarteners are new and looking for a friend to meet.  Better to do that then decide later that I should have put her on the bus and by then all those little people have bonded and she'd be the new one joining the group.

How on earth am I going to let that bus drive away with her in it?

This will be me and I hope she's as happy as this little girl is with her new found friends.
<<sniff>>
It's o.k. to cry.  :)

No comments: