...of hair, that is.
Maybe it was closer to 10 inches? At any rate, it was a load lifted and for a good cause. Without Locks Of Love, I might not have had the nerve to do it.
For the last few months, I had grown weary of my long hair. It's not as easy to take care of as most people might think. It might be easy to fashion long hair into many different styles, if you have someone else do it for you, go to a salon and have a professional do it or if you like contorting your arms behind you for an hour to style it into luscious curls.
I am a wash, dry and go type of person. I like clean and easy hair. This was getting to the point of painful ponytails. I would get such a headache after a couple hours of having it tied back.
In the summer, I asked about Locks Of Love and they said I had about an inch to go before I could do it at the 10 inch minimum. I waited until late fall just before our cruise and here you go.
It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be, but that looooong minute with the shaver struggling to cut through, felt like forever. There's no going back once it starts, so all I could do was sit there and listen to it hacking through the hair like a tiny lawn mower in a wheat field.
Funny how that amputated braid felt so light in my hand and so heavy to my head. I like my shorter hair, but still find it strange that it only takes 5 minutes to dry and style now and it has no tangles at all.
I've always been healthy and have also had a healthy head of hair and for that I am grateful. I like to think about how this little bit of hair can help a cancer stricken little girl somewhere who is going through hair loss from chemotherapy. My little girl is also healthy and every now and then, I find it important to look around at what others are going through and be thankful for my life, my blessings, my child, my husband, my health. May it be that way for a very very long time.
Anyone need any ponytail hair combs, ties and doo-dads? Just call me, I have a drawer full of them and it's going to be a long time until need them again. I do plan on growing my hair out again to donate in the future. If you have long hair and are ready for a change, ask around for salons in your area that are a part of this great program. Chances are you are near a Great Clips and I know they will treat you right.






No comments:
Post a Comment